Monday, November 21, 2011

{Five}

Then came the day when we used that mini oven thing to make pizza bites and being the idiotic me I burnt my hand. I actually still kind of have the scar from then, but now it's much more faded. Goes to show how long scars stay xD (i'm so irrelevant)

After that accident happened, I was pretty much in tears and you taught my mom to put toothpaste on the burn. Again, I thought you seriously knew everything. To get me to stop crying you taught me origami. I knew you made origami, but I never thought I could do it myself.

The first thing you ever taught me to fold was a turtle.
I still remember it. When I went home that night, I was really excited that I had a new hobby to work with. You gave me some origami paper to practice with and I was really frustrated when I got home because I kept missing a step. I felt a little ashamed that I forgot already, but I remembered soon after a few tries and began folding non stop. It was like a new obsession. The next time I went to your house you asked if I still remembered. Of course I did!

Afterwards you taught me the star box and then the crane. It's funny because people usually learn the crane first, but I'm happy I'm unique. I think the last thing you taught me how to fold was a ninja star? I still remember all these. Somewhere in between you even taught me a flower. Back in grade 4 I'd say origami was my obsessive hobby. The sanrio store owners knew me as the girl who always bought stickers and origami paper, and I always carried a stack in my pocket, folding when I wasn't walking or eating.

You told me about the myth of folding 1000 cranes and getting a wish after. I wasnted to test that challenge and you said you'd help me. I think together we got up to about 400 or 600 something before we gave up, but the effort was amazing. My room was filled with cranes everywhere, I ran out of jars and they just lay on the floor. Eventually my mom threw them all out and I think that was when we gave up.

This is one of the skills you've given me that I still keep. Thank you for teaching me origami.

No comments:

Post a Comment